It seems a very odd time to be posting about happy things because it feels as if the world is rapidly going mad. We haven’t had a day recently without hearing about horrendous things happening somewhere – it’s such a traumatic time for so many people, in so many countries, that writing about how the smell of clean washing makes me cheerful seems entirely wrong. However, finding things that make me feel better has been one of the most helpful things for my depression and, frankly, I think that finding even one happy thing in amongst the crap would be beneficial for everyone. So:
- Meeting Mr Mouse’s cousins, who all live abroad, at the in-laws anniversary party last weekend. Everyone was lovely (thankfully!) and the Canadian-British relations even survived…
- …Andy Murray winning Wimbledon by beating a Canadian. Good timing, there.
- Pokémon Go. I know, I know, but it’s making people walk more and Clefairies are just so damn cute.
- Working four days, with compressed hours, meaning that I always have a three day weekend. It means that I work longer days but I no longer get that Sunday evening dread.
- The Essex Serpent by Sarah Perry. I’ll be reviewing it over on my much neglected book blog but safe to say that it’s one of my favourite books of the year so far.
What happy happenings have you had recently?